Attorney Joseph A. Merlino
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- State of New York
- United States District Court – Massachusetts
- United States Court of Appeals – First Circuit
- New England School of Law
Juris Doctorate, 2000
- Washington and Lee University
B.A. History, 1997
Joseph A. Merlino
An associate in the litigation department, Joe joined Rudolph Friedmann LLP in 2014. Prior to joining the firm, he specialized in insurance defense, criminal defense and general and commercial litigation. After graduating law school, Joe was an assistant district attorney at the Middlesex County District Attorney’s Office where he served as the supervisor of the Newton District Court. Joe was also an associate at a large Boston law firm, which specialized in insurance defense and construction litigation.
Joe represents a variety of clients in the construction business, as well as the restaurant, hospitality and entertainment industries, in various legal matters. He has tried numerous cases in the district and superior courts of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and successfully argued motions to dismiss and motions for summary judgment. Joe has also represented clients at mediations and arbitrations, including the American Arbitration Association and the Financial Industry Regulatory Association (FINRA). His experience as a prosecutor has been valuable to his clients, both companies and individuals, when they become involved in a criminal investigation. Joe has also assisted small businesses in contract disputes arising from franchise agreements.
His experience includes:
- Successfully representing a large restaurant chain in the United States District Court on a diversity action alleging damages in excess of $1 million.
- Obtaining summary judgment and the dismissal of a case for a restaurant in a lawsuit alleging that one of its patrons sustained significant injuries resulting from the restaurant’s negligence.
- Representing a tavern and its owner in a negligence action where a patron sustained significant and disabling injuries. After extensive investigation and discovery, the patron dropped all claims.
- Obtaining a judgment in a negligence case for a landscaping company that resulted in the dismissal of all claims.
- Representing a small business owner in a wrongful termination claim before the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination. After conducting extensive discovery, the former employee withdrew his complaint.
- Obtaining a defense verdict in the Superior Court for a homeowner in a lawsuit alleging personal injury.
When Joe is not practicing law, he enjoys running, playing soccer and spending time with his family.
- Business Owners Beware: Heightened Duty to Secure Confidential Information
- Websites and E-Commerce: Where the Virtual World Can Present Real Problems
- When the Customer Is Not Always Right – Contractor’s Liability When Homeowner Insists on Ignoring Building Codes
- A Court’s Bold Step to Limit General Contractor Liability
- Employment Severance Agreements – Breaking Up Doesn’t Have to Be Hard to Do
- 12 Seconds Late: A Public Bid Submitted “Late” and Its Appeal
- 2015 Rising Star, Massachusetts Super Lawyers
- Defense Research Institute
- William Bendetson
- Jocelyn J. Campbell
- Jonathon D. Friedmann
- George Georgountzos
- Ashley M. Green
- Michael S. Kalis
- William A. Korman
- Gary E. Lambert
- Anthony L. Leccese
- Bryan S. MacCormack
- Joseph A. Merlino
- John H. Rogers