Attorney Adam J. Shafran
Areas of Practice:
- Boston Employment Lawyer
- Civil and Commercial Litigation
- Class Action
- Massachusetts, 2007
- Illinois, 2007
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts, 2010
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit, 2010
- New England Law | Boston
Juris Doctorate, 2007
Honors: Cum Laude, New England Journal on Criminal and Civil Confinement, Exec. Technical Editor, New England Scholar, Dean’s List
- University of Iowa
Iowa City, Iowa
B.A. Political Science, 2004
Adam J. Shafran
Adam is a partner at Rudolph Friedmann LLP. He is an experienced employment attorney who has counseled and litigated all aspects of the employment relationship. Prior to joining the firm, he was a partner at Ellis & Shafran, a boutique employment firm in Dedham, Massachusetts. For the past three years, Adam was selected to the Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Star list for employment litigation, an award recognizing the top 2.5% of attorneys under the age of 40 in Massachusetts.
Adam has recovered millions of dollars in unpaid wages for his clients and has represented employees in unpaid wage claims arising from minimum wage violations, overtime violations, prevailing wage violations, tip act violations, unpaid commissions, unpaid bonuses and related wage violations. He has also represented hundreds of individuals who have been misclassified by their employers as independent contractors. Through Adam’s representation, these individuals have recovered large sums of money owed to them as a result of the often-significant expenses they were forced to bear due to their misclassification. Currently, Adam serves as putative class counsel on behalf of 500+ distributors alleging independent contractor misclassification against Pepperidge Farm, Inc. Litigation is pending in Massachusetts, California and Illinois.
Adam also represents employees who have been victims of employment discrimination. He has successfully litigated and negotiated the resolution of unlawful employment decisions, including demotions, reprimands, negative performance reviews and terminations.
Adam serves as trusted counsel to executives and other employees on all aspects related to the formation of the employment agreement and separation from employment. He routinely negotiates employment agreements, severance agreements, non-competition, non-solicitation, confidentiality and other employment-related agreements.
- Obtained a $7 million class action settlement for prevailing wage violations on behalf of over 1,000 Waste Management employees in Mullally et al v. Waste Management of Massachusetts, Inc.
- Obtained a $6.5 million class action settlement for prevailing wage violations on behalf of over 700 Allied Waste/Republic Services employees in Swiderski v. Allied Waste Services of Massachusetts, LLC; the case was the largest employment settlement in Massachusetts in 2015 as reported by Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly.
- Served as class counsel to 250+ employees in a prevailing wage overtime class action against a regional environmental maintenance company.
- Obtained a $250,000 settlement against a national non-profit for wrongful termination in violation of public policy.
- Obtained a $225,000 settlement against a major national bank for race discrimination.
- An Interest in Interest: Adam Shafran and Jonathon Friedmann Appear Before the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court
- Class Action Waivers: To Waive or Not to Waive?
- New Overtime Regulations – Is Your Company Ready?
- Amendments to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure and How They May Affect Your Business
- Internships and the Massachusetts Minimum Wage Law
- Massachusetts Finalizes Earned Sick Time Regulations
- Let Them Eat Lunch – Massachusetts Meal Break Law
- New Year – New Massachusetts Minimum Wage Rates
- Employer Overtime Policies in Light of Fair Labor Standards Act Changes
- A Primer on the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act
- Employees-at-Will: When Can They Not Be Fired At The Employer’s Will?
- Wage Wars – The Rising Tide of Massachusetts Wage & Hour Litigation
- Rising Star, Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2014 –2016
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- William Bendetson
- Jocelyn J. Campbell
- Jonathon D. Friedmann
- George Georgountzos
- Ashley M. Green
- Michael S. Kalis
- William A. Korman
- Gary E. Lambert
- Anthony L. Leccese
- Bryan S. MacCormack
- Joseph A. Merlino
- John H. Rogers