Attorney Jocelyn J. Campbell
Areas of Practice:
- Boston Real Estate
- Boston Educational Institutions
- Public Procurement, Construction
- Charter School Law
- Business Transactions
- Non-profit Representation
- Civil Litigation
- Massachusetts, 1996
- U.S District Court District of Massachusetts, 1997
- Massachusetts School of Law
Juris Doctorate, 1996
- University of Massachusetts
Bachelor of Science
Jocelyn J. Campbell
Jocelyn joined the firm in September 2011. Prior to joining Rudolph Friedmann LLP, she worked for several years managing her own firm where she concentrated on real estate law and the representation of public charter schools and non-profits. She also served many clients in the areas of procurement, contracts, business transactions and litigation.
Jocelyn is a title agent for two national title companies and has represented major lenders, buyers, and sellers in real estate transactions for many years. Her real estate work includes residential, commercial and public-school properties.
During the course of her career, Jocelyn has had numerous trials in the District and Superior Courts and filed many briefs with the Appellate Court. She has argued before the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court and the Appeals Court of Massachusetts and has appeared on Court TV. Early on, Jocelyn worked with the Committee for Public Counsel Services where she was certified to accept criminal cases in Massachusetts courts and was appointed to the Post Conviction Panel.
When not practicing law, Jocelyn enjoys cycling, home improvement projects, and spending time with her husband and four daughters.
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Real Estate Bar Association
- Nahant Zoning Board of Appeals, Chairwoman
- College Ready Now, Board Member
- Bridge Boston Charter School, Foundation Board Member
- Title agent for two national title companies
- Transactional work for numerous lenders
- Representation of buyers and sellers
- Contracts, title work, and closing secured transactions
- Representing condominium investors and developers
- Residential and commercial leases
- Represented a charter school with the purchase of more than 200 acres of land from a major university. Managed all aspects of procurement and related contracts for the acquisition, including negotiating the purchase and sale agreement, due diligence, and title work. Reviewing loan documents for $14 million transaction.
- Represented a growing charter school in regard to a complicated land purchase including title issues, environmental matters, and modular procurement.
- Representing charter schools with the following:
- Refinance transactions involving bond financing
- Provide training for board members in the areas of governance and public meeting law
- Numerous procurements, including the preparation of Requests for Proposals and Requests for Qualifications and assistance with the Design Selection Board Process
- Draft and negotiate contracts for vendors, construction projects, and commercial financing
- Provide on-call services to the head of school for employment and student related issues
- Review and revise employee and student handbooks for compliance with Massachusetts laws
- Ongoing representation of a federal credit union
- Representing business owners in the purchase and sale of business assets
- Representing business owners in the negotiation of long-term leases
- Representing a liquor store owner in various matters
- Representing business owners in regard to their business entities, i.e., forming LLC’s and drafting operating agreements
- Represented a large temple in regard to ownership dispute and related matters; press coverage
- Represented a day care chain in regard to compliance issues; reviewed and revised policies and procedures handbook
- Formed a Massachusetts-based sports non-profit
Representative Litigation Matters in Massachusetts District and Superior Courts
- Civil Trials
- Kosanovich v. 80 Worcester Street Associates et al. – Successfully represented plaintiff at a bench trial and on appeal to the Appellate Division of the Boston District Court. Issues presented were piercing the corporate veil, breach of contract, and implied warranty of habitability for a renovated condominium. Case was highlighted in Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly.
- Lebel v. Kaplan – Represented the estate of a deceased family member as co-counsel in a wrongful death jury trial; published decision.
- Demurs v. Demoulas Corp. – Represented plaintiff in a personal injury jury trial due to a slip and fall.
- Civil Plaintiff Matters Settled Out of Court
- Successfully settled a 70F claim for a medical privacy violation. Insurance defense firm vigorously defended the matter.
- Successfully settled an auto accident claim for a client who was hit by an elderly, wrong-way driver.
- Successfully settled a premises liability claim for clients who were injured when the porch they were standing on broke free from the second floor.
- Criminal Trials
- Commonwealth v. Pollinger – Successfully defended a woman charged with motor vehicle homicide; lead issue involved method for calculating speed and sunlight. Involved interlocutory appeal and bench trial.
- Commonwealth v. Pasko – Successfully defended woman charged with felony of breaking and entering with intent; jury trial.
- Commonwealth v. Shapiro – Successfully defended a man wrongfully accused of open and gross conduct; jury trial.
- Commonwealth v. Logan – Represented a man in domestic matter; jury trial.
- Commonwealth v. Baum – Successfully defended a woman against felony assault and battery charges; jury trial.
- Commonwealth v. Rosario – Co-counsel in regard to defense of accessory after the fact to murder charge. Involved interlocutory appeal to the Supreme Judicial Court and was televised on Court T.V.; jury trial.
Appeals Court of Massachusetts (full briefs filed and argued):
- Commonwealth v. Raposa
- Commonwealth v. Hill
- Commonwealth v. Baker
- Commonwealth v. Ready
- Commonwealth v. Bridge
- Commonwealth v. Perkins
Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts
- Commonwealth v. Burgess (Riccio) – Violation of 5th amendment right not to incriminate via the forced signatory consent to release federal tax returns to the District Attorney’s Office; published decision
- Commonwealth v. Rosario – Interlocutory appeal, co-counsel evidence issue, televised matter
- Commonwealth v. Pollinger – Interlocutory appeal
- Juvenile Court Guardian Ad Litem – Appointed by Justices in Middlesex County to investigate and report on issues of education, medication and best interest. Appointments were typically made in only the most serious cases involving abused and neglected children, often with mental health issues. Some cases lasted many years.
- Represented numerous juveniles who were deemed in need of services by the court.
- Bureau of Special Education Appeals
- Represented district charter school to successfully defend allegation of inadequate services for special needs child.
- Represented several families in education matters; cases include obtaining school district payment for a severely dyslexic but highly intelligent child at a premier school for dyslexic children in Beverly, MA; approval of a unilateral placement; success with a due process violation and ultimate monetary settlement for the family.
- Several chapter 7 & 13 bankruptcy cases on behalf of individuals in United Stated Bankruptcy Court.
- Jocelyn J. Campbell
- Edward DelSignore
- Thomas David Duquette, Jr.
- Jonathon D. Friedmann
- George Georgountzos
- Ashley M. Green
- Michael S. Kalis
- William A. Korman
- Gary E. Lambert
- Bryan S. MacCormack
- John H. Rogers
- James L. Rudolph